The Mauritius Telecom Foundation organized a cheque presentation ceremony for NGOs in Rodrigues aiming to provide financial assistance to their projects.
The ceremony took place on Tuesday 25 February 2020 at Le Cocotier Hotel in Rodrigues in the presence of Mr Serge Clair GCSK, Chief Commissioner of Rodrigues Regional Assembly (RRA), Mr Davis Hee Hong Wye, Island Chief Executive - Rodrigues, Mr Jean Daniel Henry, Head of Mauritius Telecom Foundation, Mr Bashir Mahamode, Consultant Mauritius Telecom Foundation and Mr Deepak Dabypersad, Manager MT Rodrigues.
The different NGOs that have benefited from this financial aid are:
1. Association SOS Pauvreté – Anse Baleine, Rodrigues – Rs 50,000
Reducing number of drugs, alcohol and cigarette users through social integration of children.
2. Association Capucine Rodrigues - Baie Lascar, Rodrigues – Rs 50,000
Facilitating access to funding, training and development programmes to alleviate poverty and prompt the use of green materials to favour an environment friendly development.
3. Association Feminine Légendine Rémir - Rémir, Rodrigues – Rs 50,000
Helping unemployed women to become financially autonomous by encouraging entrepreneurship and educating women through training programmes.
4. The Trevor Huddleston Association for the Disabled - Camp du Roi, Rodrigues -
Supporting the development and improvement of the Gonzague Pierre Louis Special Learning Centre for children with disabilities and having learning difficulties by offering quality care and special education.
5. Careco – Camp du Roi, Rodrigues – Rs 75,000
Empowering people with disabilities and alleviating poverty in Rodrigues by providing training and production workshop.
6. Breast Cancer Care– Port Mathurin, Rodrigues – Rs 100,000
Aiming at sensitizing public opinion and informing about breast cancer. Also provides comfort and psychological support to breast cancer patients
7. Restore Another Child's Hope Association (REACH)- Rue Solitaire, Port Mathurin, Rodrigues – Rs 100,000
Assisting students from vulnerable families of Rodrigues, attending secondary and tertiary institutions by providing them their daily meal.
8. EDYCS Epilepsy Group – Quarters La Ferme, Rodrigues - Rs 100,000
Promoting training of professional and non–professional healthcare providers, public civil servants and civil society leaders in epilepsy disorder management.
9. Association Les Enfants D’Abord - Oyster Bay, Rodrigues – Rs 100,000
Providing basic musical training mainly to underprivileged children by developing the children’s talents and hence promoting local culture and also keeping the children away from social ills.
10. Caritas Rodrigues - Centre Carrefour, Port Mathurin, Rodrigues – Rs 300,000
Providing hot meals to poor and needy students on a daily basis